Friday, March 4, 2011

Bleszinski: 'Only AAA or indie matter'

Epic Games' design director Cliff Bleszinski has told the GDC this week that the "middle class game is dead," saying it's now triple A, indie or nothing.

In that regard we're like the movies industry he says, where "an event movie" or an indie film pull in the crowds - others Bleszinski will just " f***ing rent".

"I'm going to go on the record and say that I believe the middle class game is dead," Bleszinski told a GDC audience this week.

""It needs to be either an event movie – day one, company filed trip, Battlefield: LA, we're there. Avatar – we're there. The Other Guys starring Will Ferrell and Marky Mark? Nah, I'll f****** rent that, I don't really care - right?"

"Or it has to be an indie film. Black Swan – I'll go and see that. I'll go to The Rialto or I'll go to the AAA Imax movie. The middle one is just gone, and I think the same thing has happened to games." Gears of War 3 releases exclusively on Xbox 360 this year.

A lot of big name publishers says they are reducing their fiscal line-ups to ensure quality is high for every release they do have and recently Activision canned the near-complete True Crime: Hong Kong from United Front Games for being too 'meh' for their tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment